Wednesday, November 28, 2007

More on depth finders

Links for more info on depth finders and how to use them. Here is something you might want to think about. People tell me all the time that " I see fish, throw out a marker come back around and fish the marker, but I can't see the fish". Remember if you are using a transducer that shoots a 20 degree cone angle, as most do, and you are in 60 ft of water, that picture that you are looking at covers 20 feet of the bottom (3 1/2 times the depth). If the fish is in the outside of the cone and on the right side of the boat when you go over it, and you throw the marker on the left side of the boat that fish could be 10-14 ft from the marker . When you go back to your marker just use it for a reference, remember too, that fish move, they don't stay in one place long. Use baits that get down fast, when fishing deep water, this puts you on the fish quicker before they move. Sometimes, when trolling and I see fish, I take my boat out of gear, put it in reverse for a few seconds, have the rod in my hand, drop the bait and if I catch a fish, then I throw out a marker and shut the big motor off. This has worked many times to pick up a single fish or find a school. I have more times than I can remember seen one fish on the screen, stop and catch 1-16 fish in a spot as big as a bathtub. I am a firm believer in catch and release, but do not put a fish back until you have determined that he is the only fish, in that spot, that is feeding/biting at this time. Spooked fish, put back in a spot will not help your numbers. They might even, because of their impaired swimming ability, after being pulled from 60-70 feet of water, lead the school off that spot. Deep fishing in water 30-75 feet takes some practice on using your electronics, but is well worth the time invested. You are fishing for fish, that get one tenth the pressure, that fish get on visible cover and structure. I have never had anyone show me anything about a depth/fish finder, the internet and time on the water have put several hundred fish, out of deep water, in my boat. I will post more info later. Read all the info below several times and get out on the water and spend some time, and you will be able to do more than pound the bank. Remember always practice catch and release.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/fishfinders.html

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/depthfinders.html

http://www.daybreakfishing.com/SONAR.html

http://www.lowrance.com/Support/Tips-and-Tutorials/Sonar-Tutorial/